Social Icons

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Innovative teaching methodology

Ateneo Professor on Entrepreneurship

I taught Entrepreneurship for more than a decade in a leading university and Graduate School of Business in Manila PHL.  I am a business entrepreneur - that is my day job.  And I had no training as an educator.  That could be a weakness or a strength.

As a weakness I tried to make up for it by making my classes interesting by innovating and using methodologies that are uncommon.    Some of them:

l.  I updated my syllabus every semester

2.  It may make me look like lazy but much of the learning is student centered.  Individuals and group make the presentations  in class;   my lectures are at slideshare for easy access by everyone.

3.  My syllabus are online.

4. I encouraged my students to upload their work at you tube and slideshare (familiarization with social media)

5.  I had them submit their assignments online at my blogsites.

6.  Many activities relate to real live business situation:   observations of business, food trips,  etc.

7.  To practice creativity:

     l.  We asked students to create new products, menus

    2.  Submit new ideas weekly

And many more.


This slideshare shares with us the new trend in education and many are not responding to this.  Until 3 years ago, I was not a netizen.  I forced myself to learn and even have blogs.


Here is the interesting slideshare presentation on education:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment