Social Icons

Sunday, December 16, 2012

I facilitated a strategic planning conference for an sme educ organization

Ateneo Professor on Entrepreneurship

                               The CEO in green shirt;  I interview the staff on 2012 performance

I was recently assigned by the school to help an NGO engaged in entrepreneurship education  wrestle with its transistion from being foreign fund dependent to an independent sustainable entity.  Despite conflict with our current corporate planning, because of the need to help promote education of entrepreneurs (promotion of entrepreneuralism) I went for it.

The start was last Dec 13 and was to be held at a beach resort in Calatagan Batangas.  The distance alone from Tagaytay was 84 km, and from my place about 150 km.  The venue precluded the teaching conference aid we are used to.  It was good that the staff of the NGO were resourceful;  hence there was no further need for another venue.

We started at 3 pm after lunch, and a siesta.

I facilitated by being a panelist and asking a lot of questions which sometimes I understanding led people to taking defensive and sometimes hostile position.  Peter Senege was right;  changing mindset is impt if you are to take a change in strategic direction.  I had to do a lot of mini lectures to get people on the right frame of mind.

We covered only internal analysis on the first day.  I had to skip many points.  The following day would be for external analysis, the marketing, which their staff wanted to focus on, the options, and finally strategy.  I had to leave early to be on time for our corporate strategy meeting which would take place on Dec l5.  I also have a class for MBAH at 1 pm.

Fortunately we covered all ground on the following day.   A lot of new ideas came out on the presentations of external and product analysis.  Their boss who also has a job with an investment house (whose officers I learned were former classmate) was very cooperative and very enthusiastic about the outcome of the conference.  He set the target at 4 million  - the deficit to be erased.  There was a resistance in the beginning but after a while, people were cooperating and very enthusiastically embracing the direction.

I promised to:   give them my files of business plan, and connect them to Metrobank foundation, who was looking for a group to do entrep training, at mass level in communities.  They are it.

                                A banca with outrigger at ceiling of dining hall


                                 The participants just arrived at the Beach Resort


                                    Jetty


                                  Is this a surfer's paradaise?


                                   The dolphin house;  this rents out a P6,500 @ night




                                  View from Dolphin house of the Balayan bay





                         The makeshift conference venue.  A lot of make do and resourcefulness

                                 Prof Jorge explaining conference/ strat framework:  GROW



 x





                             The dining area at low tide.

The organization should be admired for choosing top schools to aid them in their quest for strategy.  They are bold and brave.  They also spend a substantial amount for holding this conference which involve crafting a strategy, team buiding, bonding, and Christmas party. I wish them well:  Sir Joey D and Gil G and thanking me for inviting me and letting me in their organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment