Social Icons

Monday, July 30, 2012

Factors Paper by Jane Labarrete



Maybe Yes or in Another Lifetime…
                                                Do I have what it takes to be an Entrepreneur?
 
 
            “Para sa tabi” “Bayad ho” It’s a usually scenario, a picture painted in my mind growing up when we used to have a small transportation business. We had three (3) public utility vehicles way back and the most interesting part is that my mom used to manage it, YES managing MEN-driven business.  I’ve always adored my mom when I was young I felt like she’s a super woman (kidding aside) so I told myself when I back then (probably out of my mind) someday I’ll have a bigger transportation business.
            Given that picture painted in my mind as my mom the hero of my long lost vision for myself, we did our simple business differently at first of course we wanted to make money but on the later part it was like a charity thing of helping others since my parents lived outside the country, it was my parents’ way of teaching us about life.  YES, about life and being nice to people around me! It might seem a little bit weird on how our parents raised us but when we reached at the age of 16 or in college we have to manage it.  Sometimes I do wonder if I am that rude to go through my parent’s rules… And so to cut the long story short I need to grow old (hahaha) so I did.
 
Now if you ask me if I learned anything about life? Hahaha I really don’t know if I can answer you right but I’d like to share my little journey in it.  From that experience, coming from a sheltered home I learned that not everyone you meet are nice. YUP they are not! From a man-driven business and a frail like me, a lot of people can fool you, so you have to be wise and always ask for advice for experts-people you trust… Asking will not hurt you. This may sound negative BUT it shouldn’t stop you from trusting and being nice to others. There are just instances that you encounter those. Never generalize that all people SUCK! , they are still honest people in this world. It can be heart-breaking at times but you have to get over it and try again.
Second, since this was like a charity thing for us, no business goals to attain working with simple people made me realized how blessed I was. My parent’s always tell us we should treat all people in all social classes the same, that if I can eat with well off people then I should also have the courtesy to invite our drivers or house help on the dining table. Doing so, I appreciated life more; I learned to be more thankful about life. It’s interesting to hear stories from people double my age calling you boss. It’s just funny, really!
Segue way on the lessons learned, on my journey figuring out if I can be good in business woman (if ever I’d be), I thought of selling stuff…YES I did! And I shared this idea to my aunt. What a bright idea isn’t it? But then all those excitement was blown away when she asked me to whom should I sell those? Crazy me I confidently told her! Ofcourse to our drivers (she laughed so hard, never figured out not until now haha) It was just a crazy thought but I’d always remember that when the thought of having business pops in my mind on how hilarious I was when I was young- I guess selling wasn’t really for me.
Third, I believe a success of a business relies heavily on how you take care of the people who work for you. I learned this lesson, when I finally learned to get along with them; it was smoother and lesser headaches for me. From there, I learned people are the greatest investment for a business who serves people. And I’m grateful I learned it at an early age from people whom I believe most MBA students wouldn’t even notice to exist or MBA wouldn’t emphasize to teach- it is starting to CARE for others. Important things in life are often learned from people we don’t really expect. With this, you start to understand their needs; it is only by then people who work for you begin to listen to you. I’ve proven it’s not an iron fist that is needed to make things right, it is having a big heart, when people know you care for them, they’ll listen and have the same attitude like yours.
Since, we don’t have the business anymore, If you ask me now, if I have the traits? With the skills, I’m getting there, but with the HEART, I guess I’m ready to take a LEAP but with FINANCES, “pwede pautang?” (hahaha)
Now, well I think the right attitude and knowledge can be honed in time to be a successful entrepreneur, nothing can ever stop you except FEAR of FAILING. I believe that we are all born in equal footing-naked when we got out from our mom’s womb but I guess what’s separates us now from the others is the COURAGE to pursue it and sadly a lot has the capability but only few have the COURAGE to go after it.  We all have our own night mares; I do think even a lot businessmen too are hindered by FEAR to go to the next level because of the RISKS it INVOLVES.
Having said all these, with all sincerity I want to be so rich someday so I have plenty to share to others. I want to make a difference and inspire others that there’s always HOPE. I PAINTED the vision in my mind that I’m going HAPPY and WEALTHY at the same time. WEALTH in all forms may it be monetary, people I treasure and the joy that you store riches not just here on earth. My dad always tell me, life here on earth is temporary, we are all designed by a SUPREME BEING to play a role in life, if not NOW… Maybe I’ll be a Business Tycoon in another life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment