Social Icons

Monday, July 30, 2012

Factors Paper by JENNIFER IVY M. ORBETA

I have realized recently that for the past 9 years of my life, I have been living in a rat race. I am wandering in a world where I get orders and obey as expected.  I am trained to accept anything that corporate geniuses tell me. In short, my whole life and future depends on others.
I took this elective because I have this overwhelming desire for learning entrepreneurship. And I think that is one of most important trait of an entrepreneur which is to have a big appetite for learning anything and everything, taking the challenges head-on  and working on it relentlessly. I am also a self-starter. I know that if something needs to be done, I should start it myself. I do not wait for permission and approval. When I see an opportunity, I always take the first step. Maybe this is the reason why I don’t always see eye to eye with my supervisors because I always want to take charge. And they see that as a sign of arrogance and snootiness.
Another trait of entrepreneur that I possess is that I do not fear failure and rejection. And more importantly, I do not fear the unknown. I am not afraid to take the first dive and enjoy the first plunge. My grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, siblings and cousins (including me) enjoy the benefits of having a regular job with a monthly salary. When family conversations end up to topics like crossing the bridge from employee to entrepreneur, they show signs of uneasiness and anxiety. This is because none of them have tried crossing the bridge. They feel so comfortable with their good-paying jobs for so many years that they fear taking risks. They forget how to respond to failure because they are used to jobs where risks are toned down by frequent check and balance. Being the risk-taker in the family, I am the first to venture in a business. So I would like to believe that I have the entrepreneur trait of being a risk-taker. But I am not saying that I rush in with reckless abandon. I only take risks when I see an opportunity. I think entrepreneurs should be very calculating and able to make the best decisions in even the worst cases.
            Another valuable trait of an entrepreneur that I think I have is DRIVE. My drive is strong enough to maintain my motivation to succeed. Running a business can bring you excitement but it can also wear you down. Having to carry all the responsibilities of a new business in your own shoulders can eventually burn out the flame of your interest and thrill. This is the reason why an entrepreneur needs strong motivation and drive to endure and survive the slowdown. Drive also means having the emotional stability, sociability, consideration and tactfulness.
I also have a strong work ethic. I work a lot of hours, even spending weekends just to mingle with clients. A lot of times, I get home after everybody was asleep. I yearn for contribution. I think it is important for entrepreneurs to have this kind of trait in order to succeed. An entrepreneur needs to be in the game all the time, taking responsibility of his own future and the future of his subordinates.
Lastly, I think entrepreneurs should have strong leadership qualities. And I believe that I strongly possess that quality. Like a leader, I value the goal over any unpleasantness the work brings. Being more than just tenacity, I have strong communication skills and the ability to amass a team of people toward a common goal in a way that the entire team is motivated and works effectively to get there as a team. In .Unilab, I had the opportunity to lead a team. And I would like to believe that I earned the trust and respect of my team by demonstrating positive work qualities and confidence. I was also able to foster an environment that proliferate the values throughout the team.
I think I have what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur. But I still have to learn how to delegate. I should learn to trust others to make it come out right. I should learn how to play to my strengths and delegate or sub out the rest of the work. And put my focus on other important things. Having a structured team for help will be greatly beneficial because it will give me more time to work on other elements of growing the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment