Social Icons

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Factors Paper by Mariko Franca

Admittedly, I don’t see myself as entrepreneurial if I will compare myself with other business owners so I took several tests to determine whether I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur. The following items are the qualities of an entrepreneur based on several sources. 

Creativity/imagination- I admit that I am not a very creative person. I need to work on being able to think out-of-the-box which I learned here at AGSB is very important in the current business world. 

Freedom/self-sufficiency-The test result said I rate average here. I like to make my own decisions but I prefer to ask for help when I am not an expert on a subject or feeling confident with my decision. Sometimes I even ask people to decide for me when I am having a hard time.  This is oe of the things I like working for our family business because although technically I still have a boss (my father), my suggestions are heard better and my decisions are given more regard. 

Need for achievement or success- I am motivated to excel in what I do whether it is a minor task (i.e. putting stickers on products) or major task (i.e. school examinations). I usually do something or accept a project when I know I can do it well. Then when I have no choice but to accept a responsibility even when I am not well-versed on it, I do research or ask for help. 

Persevering/determined- I know that I am very persevering especially to tasks that I believe in. When I set my mind to do something, I make sure that I do everything in my power to finish it even if I face many challenges along the way. 

Planning- I like to plan or schedule my days although my planning skills still needs to be improved. This is because I want to be prepared and have as few bad surprises as possible. This is connected to taking risks. 

People skills- I probably would need to improve on my people skills. Although I have friends with varying personalities, there are still instances when I can get intimidated or shy some personalities. 

Perception to act upon one’s destiny- I believe that I can make things happen. When I have a goal in mind, I don’t see the walls that block my way. I see doors I need to go through to get to my goal. 

Power/control appeal- I do not mind leading people. I enjoy organizing (i.e. events) and mobilizing resources. I enjoy decision-making. I used to be an employee but when I began working for our family business, I realized I enjoy more being the boss than working for someone else. Some of my reasons are: you can decide where you want the company to go which is in-line with your own values and you can have more impact on people and the society as a business owner than as an employee. 

Self-confidence/enthusiasm- Although the test result showed I rate above average on this, I think I still need to improve my self-confidence. Many times I feel that others can do a better job than me. This is also why I took up MBA. I want to first have the knowledge on how to run a business before I actually run one. 

Takes initiative- I am willing to take initiative especially when no one else wants to do a task which is important to achieve a goal. However, I make sure first that I can deliver or do it before I take up the responsibility. There are even times when I volunteer to do something even if I am not really sure what to do when nobody else in the group wants to do it. My father said that ever since I was a child, when things need to be done, I usually first wait if others will do it. When no one wants to do it then I volunteer.

Takes risks- I am a risk-taker as long as the risk is acceptable – can be mitigated or managed. I make sure I understand the consequences of my actions and will only take the risk on opportunities when I know that I can handle whatever happens. I want to be ready. I look at facts to help me decide and do not plunge blindly head on. 

Technical knowledge- I am working on this. My only business background is what I learn at AGSB so hopefully when I get my diploma it means that I am competent to put up my own business. I know that my education will continue even beyond my MBA diploma.

Tolerance towards ambiguity/resistance to stress- I believe that I can fairly handle stress brought on by uncertainty. This is probably because I like to plan. However, if I would consider the frequency of stress-related migraines, I would say I need to learn how to manage stress better. 

Conclusion 
I can be an entrepreneur because I have certain qualities that are similar to successful entrepreneurs such as willingness to lead and decide, perseverance, self-sufficiency. I am motivated by the need to excel and do well in what I do. I also like to plan and take acceptable risks. In addition, I believe that I have control over my destiny even if there are uncontrollable circumstances.

However, if I am to become an entrepreneur I will have to work on improving the following: a) creative or out-of-the-box thinking; b) people skills; c) technical knowledge (i.e. financial, sales, marketing); d) self-confidence; and e) tolerance towards ambiguity.

I took a motivation-fit test before and I rated the highest in the Cause-Motivated. My former boss said it means that as long as I believe in a cause, I do everything for it. So I think that I can be an entrepreneur (and hopefully a good one) as long as I don’t lose sight of the cause and my goal.

























No comments:

Post a Comment