Social Icons

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Is Life of a Professor at Graduate School a Bed of Roses?

I could not help but reflect on the events in recent days:

l.  I got an email from a student from several semesters back threatening me that if I do not take action on his grade which should be 0.5 higher, the matter should be brought to the higher ups. I submit that it is a rounding off error and that there are processes to be followed to change the grade. The poor kid has sent the email,that without going tthrought the administrative  process changing grades.  Lack of personal mastery?

2.  In the last term I encountered the following plenty of rough sailing despite caveat in the syllabus that:   if you are taking strama and entrep, please dont:  that entrep is hard. That entrep is not just an elective..  It is a real serious hard rigorous subject:

   l.  The class leader  emailed, that he would appeal to the cluster chair to make a certain requirement group work, instead of  individual;

   2.  That the students would lnot buy the textbook and casebook because they would not be entrepreneur anyway; said within my earshot and in emails;

   3.  That they would not agree to a class make up or could not attend it.  Reason?  They are attending another make up for another subject ( Jealous prof eh?!)

   4.  That several students complained that they are toxic  and tired because of too much workload.  Reason:  they are taking 3 subjects simultaneously.

Graduate studies is not for everyone.  It is hard.

Perhaps, it happens because the students themselves are executives and entrepreneurs, and that they can take these actions  because they have the numbers and they are customers, and they can always strike back with performance evaluation of the prof.  And that as a business executive, I am not used to this failure situation that demeans your stature.

Yet there is such thing, and I hope it exists in the Graduate School, academic freedom.  In certain universities like UP, matters like grades, passing and failing the student cant be interfered with by adminstrative actions.  And having talked to other profs there, the opinion was that I should stand my ground or be removed, or resign ASAP if  interference take place. The academe may be, despite an advocacy to leave a legacy, may not be my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment