Social Icons

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Opportunity Seizing and Being a Man for Others - Can You Reconcile the Two?

 Can we teach opportunity seizing (making money) and pontificating (being a man for others?)

Dr Ed Morato, an entrepreneurship guru, wishphered and cautioned me on pontification as we teach entrepreneurship.

A student, an  eye doctor at Metro Manila hospital, jolted me on sometimes contradictory messages in the class."Why would I hesitate in opportunity seeking?  Isn"t what you are teaching?  Why will I not maximize?"

All I could weakly argue was that Adam's Smith unfettered free market does not work for the good of all and hence there must be regulations/government.

I looked at other curriculum of foreign GSB, and their subjects are very focused on business and making money.

But if unfettered, and controlled, we come out with Enron Worldcomm type of surgery.  That is where this GSB is trying to differentiate:  to make morally upright executives and entrepreneurs.



"Every generation needs a revolution an ENTREPRENEURIAL REVOLUTION."

No comments:

Post a Comment